I remember once walking on the beach at dawn the following day and I found my first bottle. The note inside simply said "I wish someone would save me." I took the bottle home and put a reply into it, "I wish I could save you." and I put my mailing address. Of course I never got a reply, not that I expected to. Perhaps the bottle was smashed on a rock, or is in someone's beach combing collection, maybe even mermaids took it, down deep away from this wrld.
I have moved many times since that bottle, but I still think about that message. I hope they found a way, I hope they found the strength to ask for help. I really meant what I said in the bottle.
That night, after sending my message back out I remember laying on the roof of my parents house, watching the stars. I saw a satellite scurry across the sky. I remember thinking that no one ever slows down, no one ever rests anymore. We just keep running and running until we drop, so tried we cannot even call for help. Or at least we dare not call out, we would be seen as weak.
The stars remind me of all those silent cries for help, those bottles. I am sure some of my own cries are up there too, being rushed past by those satellites.
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment